Sunday, February 12, 2012

#6: Use Positive Words


Why would anyone direct harsh or derogatory remarks to the one they love? Two reasons: either they don’t have an expansive vocabulary or they don’t know what else to do.

Here’s a true personal story: disagreements in the first years of my marriage were sometimes fierce. However, I am not one to back down from any opportunity to express myself. During those times, things would sometimes get heated and loud and we would find ourselves in a place where we were trying our hardest to say hurtful things --- more hurtful than what the other person had said before. Very quickly we found ourselves going down a dark path and I dreaded quarrels but braced myself for one whenever necessary. Finally, we initiated a series of talks about our fights and what I discovered was very interesting and eye-opening. I learned that most of the words and phrases my husband (whose native language is French) used were simply those he had learned from guy friends he lived with when he first came to the country. He had learned that those were the things you said to curse someone out and hurt their feelings. He didn’t quite understand what impact it had on me or the damage it could potentially have on our relationship. Basically, the words didn’t mean much to him but was devastating to me. Today, when we quarrel, we focus on getting to the root cause of the issue and not merely aiming to hurt the other’s feelings as much as possible.
The words you use to address each other impact your relationship in a big way. Negative words and attitudes hurt the relationship and can potentially tarnish your love and trust for one another and eventually pull you apart.
If the tone of your relationship is negative, take some time to talk about it and find out why it’s happening in the first place, then make a commitment to turn the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment