Tuesday, May 15, 2012

#16: Hold Hands


For as long as I can remember, I’ve always found the sight of a couple holding hands while strolling to be romantic and heart-warming. It is a simple, harmless gesture but at the same time it is so intimate and private. I’ve also seen holding hands as some sort of a sign of deeper love, understanding and acceptance.

So I had this secret wish that someday I will find someone to hold my hand and it would mean all the things that I had imagined it to be and more. My husband, as perfect as he is for me, did not reach for my hand when we walked together. I wasn’t sure if it would mean the same thing if I was the one to reach for his hand first---I know it sounds silly but I really wondered that. At some point, I decided it was just a foolish secret wish anyway. After all, how many African men hold hands when walking with their wives? Exactly! Unfortunately I couldn’t seem to shake off my secret wish of strolling hand-in-hand with the man I love.

Then one day I found the courage to share my secret wish with him! He said that there were times when he wanted to hold my hand but he didn’t think I would want him to (because sometimes I have this thing about people touching me—especially when it’s warm). So anyway, we cleared things up and now we do it often--enough. Yes, it is everything I imagined!

Go ahead---stroll hand in hand with your love one.  It is amazing to share something that’s uniquely open and yet so private at the same time. If you don’t do this already, start right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment