Tuesday, May 15, 2012

#15: Say What You Love About Them


When the honeymoon period ends it can be easy to forget some of the things that you love about your significant other. The little things get in the way. Sometimes it’s the big things---like children, building a life together now or planning for the future. However, the important thing to remember is that it all started with just the two of you and the very things that you love about your significant other—those things are most likely the reasons why you fell in love and decided to build a life together in the first place.

Find a way to help yourself remember.  Is there a song that brings back special memories? Buy the album or load it to your iPod and dance to it often. Is there a picture that lights up your eyes and melts your heart? Frame it and put it in a spot where you’ll see it often. Did your love one give you a greeting card or letter that means the world to you? Put it in a special place that is easily accessible. Do you have the most amazing stories about when you first met or started dating? Write them down or retell them often to each other and to those who care. You get where I’m going with this. Think about other examples.

I love writing things down in my catch-all journals. Sometimes I thump through them and read out loud to my husband. I enjoy it and he loves it. Every once in a while I would talk him into writing his thoughts and feelings in my journal. It is always fun reading his entries and, at times, sharing them with him. For example, he started on of his entries like this, “I don’t feel like writing anything but my Judy is forcing me…” Fun!

Don’t let go of all the things you love about your significant other because those things can play a big role in helping to keep your love alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment